St. Marx cemetery (Sankt Marxer Friedhof) is a cemetery in Landstraße, Vienna, used from 1784 until 1874. It was named after an almshouse nearby. The cemetery was opened in response to a decree by Emperor Joseph II that forbade further burials in cemeteries within the outer walls of the city. He also ordered that bodies should be buried unembalmed and without coffins in mass graves. Thus the common assumption that Mozart's grave was unmarked because he was too poor is false: his burial in 1791 after a normal funeral in the Stephansdom simply followed the regulations of the day.
Permalink: Vienna cemetery